Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Stress fracture = no running for at least 2.5 weeks

DANG!!!

Over the last two weeks, I had been experiencing weakness and pain in the middle of my foot whenever I put weight on the ball of my right foot. As you might imagine, this is a problem when you're running.

I didn't ignore it...but my body compensated by putting weight on the outside of my foot. And, after 20 miles a week of training, my ankle and calf did not like this one bit. So, the last 2 days, they have been staging a full-blown rebellion. It took me more than twice as long to walk anywhere, as I hobbled about. And this is a problem when you work in a big hospital. The bathroom is about 1/8 mile from my office!

So, today I went to see the lovely sports medicine doctor, Robyn Fean, at UW Hall Health. She is young, kind, and a runner herself. And she had my foot x-rayed. She says I have an early stress fracture (which is funny because I'm never early for anything!) Treatment? Stay off it for a week, and only moderate walking for a week and a half after that. Then, we'll see. I guess I'll just work on resting up and drinking milk until then. But man! It is so frustrating to not be allowed to run! The irony here is that during all those busy weeks of school, work and training...there were many days when I felt bad for myself that I had to go run. Hmmm...maybe God is trying to teach me to be thankful for my normally able and fit body.

I'm allowed to swim and bike as much as I like. But this may be a challenge...since I don't have a swim suit, belong to a pool, or have a working bike (or helmet). Nice curve ball, Life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If you can go to Hall Health, I assume you have some kind of student or staff status, which means you can use the IMA. Their pool is actually pretty nice. But the bathing suit could be a problem...